Thursday, June 24, 2010

Floridians Invade HCMC

My first experience in Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC) occurred in April when I traveled down south with my interpreter and supervisor for Vietnam's largest handicraft exhibition. While I certainly enjoyed my time at the Expo and I liked getting to experience the unique vibe of this particular Vietnamese city, I walked away with the predominant impression that HCMC is very crowded, busy and industrial.

So, when my friends arrived in HCMC from the US last week, I was very excited to see them but a little unsure as to whether or not HCMC would be a good place to vacation for a few days. I have to say that after spending a few more days in this city, solely dedicated to sightseeing, the city has certainly won me over. While it is very busy and crowded, it also has an elegant charm, the people are friendly and there are many beautiful sites to see in and around the city.

Highlights of the trip: taking a speedboat tour to the fascinating Cu Chi tunnels (an underground, VERY small tunnel network utilized in the Vietnam war), floating down the Mekong Delta in a paddle boat, experiencing lots and lots of really good food -- and lots of varieties! and visiting museums and the major monuments in District 1.

Slight downsides of the trip: my prescription sunglasses sinking to the bottom of the muddy Mekong Delta (good thing they have really cute, knock off sunglasses to act as temporary replacements), almost having my purse snatched (fortunately, I managed to hold on super tight and avoid what would have been a very bad situation) and being talked into seeing a Vietnamese Opera by two college music majors (the upside was that we got to leave early:)

After spending three action-packed days in HCMC, we headed to Phu Quoc Island for some down time on the beach.




















No comments:

Post a Comment