Thursday, July 15, 2010

All Things Thai

Last week I traveled with one of my Vietnamese friends to Thailand, a country I have wanted to visit for quite some time. This was spurred by my love for Thai food, the many cultural facets that this land holds and the fact that Thailand has a strong reputation for people who are warm and hospitable.

We first arrived in Bangkok to spend a few days exploring the capital city. I have to say that I was a little uneasy about visiting here given the recent political unrest. However, we felt very safe the whole time and we really enjoyed our visit. It was a little strange though walking right by the complex where the bombing took place and seeing the new construction already taking place with signage about peace in Thailand. We also visited the art center which included a reflection display concerning the recent actions in Bangkok. I truly do hope that lasting peace will find its way with this country.

The Thai food was amazing, the Thai massages were a unique, sometimes painful, but overall relaxing experience and the temples were truly larger than life. We visited the Emerald Buddha and Reclining Buddha temple complexes and it really was unlike anything I have ever experienced before -- incredibly ornate and elegant gold and emerald buildings. The people were also very friendly and welcoming everywhere we went.

There was a whole section of downtown Bangkok devoted to large shopping complexes. My friend was keen to check out the shopping aspect of Bangkok so this was one area that we visited. There were signs for "sales" everywhere. The funny thing was that even with discounts as high as 90 percent, the prices still seemed very high. It certainly made me appreciate the shopping experience in the US.

We traveled around town by the SkyTran, similar to a monorail, and by boat, both of which offered us unique and beautiful views of the city. We also visited the tallest tower in the center of Bangkok and got another spectacular view of the entire city.

All in all, I left with a very favorable impression of Bangkok.

Next stop -- Phuket for some beach time.




















No comments:

Post a Comment