Thursday, October 14, 2010

What I Love Most About Hue

It's a shame that many foreign tourists in Vietnam breeze through the city of Hue without even touching the surface as to what this amazing city is all about. Sure, they go and see the citadel and the king's tombs and maybe take one of the many day trips outside the city, but they don't really get to experience the vibrant, culturally rich and beautiful city that I have come to love.

Here are just a few reasons why I love living in Hue, in no certain order:



Lush, Shady Streets All Around - The city of Hue is peppered with tall leafy trees that overhang into the street and provide the perfect shade when driving in the hot sun. There are also a plethora of rich green parks, offering the perfect opportunities to relax with friends over an iced coffee or fruit smoothie. Above is a picture of one of my favorite streets in Hue, that also just happens to be on my daily commute to work (lucky me!).


Plethora of Yummy Vietnamese Food - Hue is famous for its many, many, many, many varieties of savory Vietnamese cuisine. I know, I know -- I have talked about food many times, but I just can't help it. It's so good that I have to talk about it at least one more time. So, here are a few of my favorites: fresh pork grilled spring rolls dipped in sweet and spicy peanut sauce, marinated pork barbeque with fresh rice noodles and chili, savory fish noodle soup, crunchy Vietnamese spring rolls with salty fish sauce, a ton of different flavorful vegetarian cuisine, and the list goes on and on -- seriously. As a food lover, this is a great perk of living in Hue!


Beautiful Nature Around Every Bend - Hue is surrounded by absolutely picturesque countryside. It is quite common to be traveling down any given road complete with storefronts and houses and the next moment be enclosed by a rich green field of rice paddies.


Coffee, Coffee, Coffee - Hue has many varieties of coffee shops and cafe cocs (sidewalk coffee) around town. There are so many to choose from and each one has its own individual personality. The coffee shops here also offer a variety of drinks to choose from, apart from the amazing coffee including fresh squeezed fruit drinks, ice cream, sweet creamy yogurt drinks with fresh fruit, etc., etc.

Oh Hue, how I will miss you come December!

1 comment:

  1. wow, it looks like a wonderful place - this isn't how i would have imagined vietnam to look at all!

    ReplyDelete