Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Working Abroad

Most of my blog posts thus far have focused on all of the fun things I have been experiencing in Vietnam outside the work arena. But, since I am actually here in Vietnam to volunteer as a business development advisor and many of you have been asking about how my work is going, I thought it only appropriate to dedicate a blog post to my actual work life.

Work thus far has been very challenging, but also very rewarding. There are many steep learning curves for me to overcome including understanding the Vietnamese business and government systems, the handicraft industry, the non-profit arena, the disability sector --- all while working with language barriers. I am also learning how to be more flexible, patient, resilient and resourceful in my quest to be an effective and contributing member at work.

But the rewards certainly balance out the obstacles --- I love interacting with the youth with disabilities at the center every day. They are incredibly fun, endearing and talented individuals. I love the challenge of working at a social enterprise that also has a business side and trying to determine how to effectively weave these seemingly opposite concepts effectively together. Additionally, I love the opportunity to share the skills that I have been blessed with through education and experience with those at the center.

Yesterday, I started my weekly marketing and business development 101 training course with the administration staff. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed teaching the material and even more surprised by how satisfied I felt at the conclusion of the interactive session when those who participated smiled and said that they had learned something. Wow - what a great feeling that I didn't expect to get from teaching a training class. I am excited to see how next week's training session goes.

Sometimes it is hard to visualize the way that things are without images (at least for me) so below are a few pictures of the center, the people and the center's products:






3 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,

    I have noticed that you have had a hat on in a couple of the blog pictures. Is that your hat or are you borrowing hats?

    Love,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, those are borrowed hats. The cone shaped hat in the pictures is the traditional Vietnamese hat called a conical hat. The first one I put on for the sake of a photo opportunity at a museum and the second one in the picture above was placed on my head as a joke by one of my coworkers (and because it was really hot that day!).

    Glad you have figured out how to post on my blog :)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete