Saturday, May 22, 2010

Family Visit to Asia - Part 3

I have now spent over four months living and working in Vietnam which has included taking part in customs and traditions that are important to the Vietnamese, learning about Vietnamese cuisine and entertainment, trying to understand the Vietnamese way of business and just experiencing the culture in a variety of different facets -- one that is far different from own, I might add. I might also add that this in no way makes me an expert on Vietnamese culture -- not even close! -- but it does provide me with a lot of personal insight that one living in another culture could not derive just by reading in a book.

So, when my family arrived in Hue to better understand how I have been living and working here in Central Vietnam I was excited to be able to show them the "true Vietnamese experience" based upon my own familiarity with the culture thus far. Of course we visited the main tourist attractions including the citadel, a dragon boat ride down the Perfume River, the kings' tombs and shop for souvenirs. Yet, they also got to see where I live and work, meet my Vietnamese friends, take their first ride on a motorcycle with my friends in the Hue countryside and experience Vietnamese cuisine.

The three days my family spent in Hue past by all to quickly and before I knew it, the time had come for them to return to the US. It was definitely hard saying goodbye to them as my family is very close and we had an incredible trip together, but I know that Hue is the place that God has chosen me to be for this particular life season. So, I will keep on experiencing the Vietnamese culture in Hue, Vietnam as best I can and keep leaning on Him for direction and guidance.














1 comment:

  1. I love all of these pictures! I'm so glad you had a great visit with your family. :)

    ReplyDelete