Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Taking Success in the Small Things

Before I left the US for this adventure in Vietnam, I asked those in my life who I greatly respect and who have had international work experience, what I could expect during my time overseas. I received a lot of great advice, but the message I kept hearing repeatedly was: "take success in the small things".

While I understood this saying to mean that work would be very challenging and different in comparison to work at home in the states and that I should be appreciative of the small strides that I make along the way, I can honestly say that I didn't fully comprehend this phrase until recently.

Reflecting on my time working aboard thus far, there have been many, many times that have been incredibly frustrating and discouraging as I faced a number of seemingly relentless mountains including lack of resources, people unwilling to change and an entirely foreign business context.

However, there have also been times in which case I have reveled in the small successes along the way -- discovering that those who seemed completely unwilling to change are sometimes the most enthusiastic about learning and change once they truly understand and appreciate the importance of it, landing a sizable international order that has allowed us to begin to rebuild the handicraft portion of our business (see photos below of the recycled telephone wire jewelry we sold to a Canadian wholesaler), teaching others about business and marketing and watching as they understand and eagerly apply what they have learned to their jobs.

I know that there will be more challenges around the corner, but I think the challenges I have already experienced as well as those I will experience in the future will only make the successes that much sweeter when they do occur.

So, I will keep enduring the challenges and taking success in the small things as they come.




1 comment:

  1. I wore my earrings like that tonight:) Keep up the great work and I love you, mom

    ReplyDelete