Thursday, September 9, 2010

Cambodia

Since arriving in Vietnam nearly eight months ago, I have heard a great deal from other volunteers and passing travelers about the grandeur of the Angkor temples near Siem Reap, Cambodia. Many commented that the temples are breathtakingly spectacular and that the Cambodian people are warm and friendly.

As such, I was anxious to visit and take in the sights and culture for myself. And last week I had the opportunity to travel to Siem Reap for a week's vacation with my good VSO friend, Pat.

The Cambodian people are in fact very warm and friendly, although a little reserved in comparison to the boisterous and feisty culture I have become accustomed to in Vietnam. The temples are indeed grand as well, although I found myself drawn to the very atmospheric temples that are still very much intertwined with nature as opposed to the manicured and somewhat sterilized temples such as Angkor Wat.

However, my favorite experiences in Cambodia were centered upon simply getting to interact with the people there and drink in God's natural beauty outside of the manmade monuments. We had ample opportunity to interact with the local people by way of the tuk tuk drivers around town (a cart with benches that is pulled by a motorbike and driver -- a great way to get around!) who all spoke English very well. Pat and I were also able to take a long horseback ride into the countryside at sunrise over rice paddies and rich green fields. Along the way we were constantly greeted with friendly waves and hellos.

I think the most challenging part of the trip was the fact that Cambodia is still wrought with incredible poverty and we continually encountered begging throughout our trip which was difficult to handle emotionally. Yet, amidst their poverty and the incredible turmoil and instability that was present in this country a mere decade ago, the people are very hospitable and open.

Overall, I really enjoyed my time in Cambodia and am glad I had the opportunity to experience another corner of this side of the world. However, I found myself continuing comparing Cambodia to Vietnam -- the people, the food, etc. and am happy to be back home in Hue.




















1 comment:

  1. I want to go horseback riding in another country! Your pictures are awesome and I can't wait until you come home!

    ReplyDelete