Friday, February 5, 2010

My First Week In Hue

Tomorrow will mark my one week anniversary in Hue, my home for the next year. Sitting here at the computer, reflecting on the past week, it is hard to believe all that has occurred since I arrived last Saturday night.

When the other VSO volunteer and I landed at the airport in Hue on Saturday, our employers and translators were waiting outside the terminal with flowers in hand. They took us to eat at a nice Vietnamese restaurant in town and truly treated us as honored guests.

The accommodating gestures didn't stop there! On Sunday, our translators took us around the city and showed us some of the highlights of a truly beautiful and peaceful town. That night I went to a Vietnamese mass with my translator. Unfortunately, with my limited knowledge of Vietnamese, I was unable to pick up most of what was happening throughout the service, but I can say that the singing was absolutely beautiful.

My first week at the vocational training center for children with disabilities has been great as well. I have spent this week just getting acclimmated with my coworkers and the center's activities. My coworkers and the children are so friendly and accommodating. I have to keep reminding them that I am here to work alongside them and that they can treat me as a member of the staff -- they are continually checking on me to ensure that I am ok and that I have had enough to eat.

The major challenge at work will be communication. My translator is absolutely wonderful, but is it difficult not being able to communicate directly with my coworkers in a effective manner. Hopefully, the more time I am immersed in the Vietnamese culture, the better my Vietnamese will become (at least I hope so!)

In addition to learning more about the center, this week I learned how to make a bamboo basket (with a little bit of added help from some of the children at the center!), played soccer, practiced a little bit of Vietnamese and took part in a graduation ceremony at the school. I also sang kareoke and had some good Vietnamese food.

This weekend, I am going to learn how to ride a motorbike, go dancing and possibly go to a soccer match.

Now, if the other VSO volunteer and I can simply secure a house here, life will be grand.

I will post some pictures of Hue when I get better access to the internet.

Tam biet! (Good bye)

4 comments:

  1. Sarah! How fun!! It sounds like you are just thriving over there and I'm so glad everyone is so welcoming and kind to you, I hope your new house has internet so that we can talk sometime soon, and I can't wait to hear more about your adventure over there. I love you, and I definitely think a picture of the basket needs to be posted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Beck Bo! Yes, things are going really well so far. And on the house front, we actually just secured a house yesterday afternoon! It is really nice (3 bedroom/4 bath) and we got a good deal on the house since it is owned by the head nun of the pagoda that the other volunteer in Hue is working at. We move in next Thursday, so we will definitely have to set up a Magic Jack phone conversation soon after that. I can't wait to catch up with you soon. I love you and miss you! Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so happy for you that you have a house you'll be moving into soon! It sounds like everything has gone smoothly for you so far and I hope that continues. Looking forward to more pictures, and I love reading your posts. You paint the scene beautifully with your words. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why hello Sarah!

    I can't believe how much you're learning! It is so much fun to read about your adventures... I think you need to get skype soon so we can talk via actual voices! I expect a bamboo basket in the mail for me in the next few weeks ;) and I would also like to see pictures of you dancing! Is it Vietnamese dancing or just dancing somewhere to Vietnamese music? Motorbike? I also need to see pictures of this! I can't believe you've been in Vietnam for a month now... it already feels like forever!

    ReplyDelete