Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Final Preparations

I just learned on Monday that there was a bit of a miscommunication with the Vietnam Program Office concerning my expected arrival date. So, that means I will now be leaving early morning on January 10th rather than tomorrow.

While I am anxious to get there and learn more about this adventure that I signed up for, I am actually glad for the few extra days in which to get everything in order. There are so many little details involved with leaving the country for a year -- notifying my banks, making sure all of my accounts are in order before I leave, my tax forms, phone, etc, etc. Not to mention the HUGE task of packing the right items for this journey, especially when I am only able to bring ONE suitcase!! For those of you who know me well, you know that I am the world's worst packer -- I tend to prepare for any instance that might occur on a trip which usually results in me taking the largest suitcase possible.

For this trip, however, I have had to approach the task of packing a little differently. So, I am trying to fit as many clothes as possible into my not-large-enough suitcase (I've heard rolling helps, right?). This trip is also different in that I also have to prepare for a large array of medical "emergencies" that could arise on my travels as well -- vitamins, antibiotics, antimalarials, etc. etc. which also makes packing everything into one suitcase quite a feat. And let's not forget the motorcycle helmet I am also bringing since motorbikes are a common form of transportation in Vietnam.

Oh well, I guess I will manage. One thing is for sure -- packing for this trip has certainly made me grateful for all of the blessings that I have here in the US. I am sure I will learn to be grateful for many more things along the way as well!

1 comment:

  1. I'll be thinking about you all day! Have a safe and wonderful trip - we'll be looking forward to hearing about it.

    ReplyDelete