Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Second Week in Vietnam

So, I have begun my second full week in Vietnam and it is going well so far. My Vietnamese is progressing and I am finding that the structure is fairly simple once one better understands proper pronunciation and starts to build a vocabulary. I have been practicing whenever possible and I think many of the vendors and restaurant wait staff are beginning to understand what I am trying to say. When I first began to try and speak what I had just learned in Vietnamese lessons to the locals, I would often receive blank looks in return. Therefore, I would say that being understand a little bit is great progress :)

I had my first experience on a motorbike yesterday which was quite exciting. I rode with one of my new Vietnamese friends at the office, Ngan (or Money as I have been calling her -- the literal translation -- since I have trouble pronouncing the "ng" correctly) , and she took me around for a little while. It was nice but a little bit scary (although she was driving especially slow for me, so I can only imagine what it will be like when someone is going full speed!).

Also, I have had the chance to experience a few bia hois or a Vietnamese version of a local pub. They serve fresh beer made daily and light snacks. They are quite nice, although we have received a few funny looks as most of the people who frequent these types of establishments are men.

This weekend, each new VSO volunteer will be spending a full day with a local Vietnamese family, so I am excited about that. We are also planning to go to the theatre to see Beauty and the Beast and possibly go bowling.

All in all, I am really enjoying my time here and cannot wait to see what unfolds over the next year.

Below are a few recent photos taken in Hanoi:


On the motorbike with Ngan


The other VSO volunteers with face masks, a common practice in Vietnam when riding on motorbikes



4 comments:

  1. Sarah, you are so amazing to be having this adventure - I have never been that brave in my life! I'm impressed with your learning the language, the beautiful pictures and your drinking in the culture (both literally and figuratively!) Be careful on that motorbike! Love you,Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Lynn! I love you, too! And I will be careful on the motorbike :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah - you are amazing (not suprised!) I can sense the excitement in your writing and it is so cool that we can live out this adventure with you through your blog. We miss you ALOT at Correct Craft but we are also thrilled that you are living out this dream and adventure. I am looking forward to reading your future postings. Did I mention we miss you ALOT? Excited for you... Bill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bill, Thanks for your recent comment. I truly feel blessed to be living out this adventure. I hope all is going well at Correct Craft and with your family.

    ReplyDelete