Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Some of My First Vietnamese Experiences

So, I have now been in Hanoi for two full days and am starting to get over the jet lag. I haven't really noticed though as I am really enjoying taking in the culture here and my excitement level is high.

The program staff has been very accommodating and so friendly; I am enjoying getting to know them much. Yesterday, they helped us obtain local SIM cards so that our phones can work here (although I am unable to call/text through to the US) and we are going to open bank accounts tomorrow. We also began Vietnamese lessons today. Our teacher is very patient and kind although I think progress will be a bit slow as the language is so tonal; if a work is pronounced slightly differently it becomes a different word altogether. However, I am determined to keep trying to improve even if my pronunciation isn't perfect at first.

The traffic seems very chaotic as there are motorbikes, buses and cars going every which way at all times of the day. It is very different from the US, but it seems to work quite well here. As a pedestrian though, it will just take some getting used to as people just begin crossing the street and the traffic simply goes around. It definitely takes a leap of faith at first!

I am loving all of the food here a lot, even though it is very different than what I am used to. Vietnamese food is so fresh and I am getting along ok so far with chopsticks. I have had shrimp and potato pancakes, crab spring rolls, Vietnamese soup and lots of fresh vegetables. The restaurant at the hotel serves noodle soup for breakfast which I really like, even though I never imagined having noodles at breakfast time. Also, many of the Vietnamese restaurants here have set prices for a given amount of people and they then just bring out dish after dish to share rather than one dish per person.

Tomorrow we continue Vietnamese lessons are planning to begin practicing our language skills in the city with our teacher on Friday.

More to come soon!

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm, potato pancakes, sounds good! Glad they have food you like :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad things are going well so far! And the food isn't destroying your stomache :) I miss you and keep updating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I agree with Olivia! Potatoe pancakes are delicious! Excited to see you made it over there safely and that I get an update into your new life :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss you guys! Thanks for the comments -- and yes, I am very glad the food and I are agreeing so far :)

    ReplyDelete